Living Healthy with Chronic Disease, Living Healthy with Diabetes and Living Healthy with Chronic Pain are highly participatory, evidence-based workshops developed by Stanford University's School of Medicine. Each session is 2 ½ hours long once a week for six weeks. The workshops are facilitated by 2 trained leaders who follow a detailed manual, so that each workshop is highly consistent.
These programs are not designed to help people learn more about chronic conditions, but rather to learn the skills and tools to better manage chronic conditions and live healthier happier lives. Participants will learn:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- appropriate management of medications
- skills for effectively communicating with friends, family, and health care providers
- healthy eating guidelines and exercise tips
- how to make informed treatment decisions
- action planning
- disease-related problem solving and decision making
Overview of Class Content
Subjects who participated in the program, when compared to those who did not, demonstrated significant improvements in:
exercise, cognitive symptom management, communication with physician, self-reported general health, health distress, fatigue, disability, social/role activities limitations. They also spent fewer days in the hospital and a trend toward fewer hospitalizations.
Complete findings here
- Meta-analysis of chronic disease
- Chronic Disease Self Management National Study
- Impact of CDSMP on Health Care Savings
Frequently Asked Questions about Living Healthy
Success articles from class participants
Interested in more information about becoming a trained lay leader?
Here are some experiences you can expect if you do.
Upcoming Living Healthy Workshops
To view fliers for future workshops, click the listings here:
|Location||Day||Dates||Class Time||Type of Class|
|Fellowship Club House||Monday||1/5 - 2/9||10am - 12:30pm||Diabetes Self Management|
|Hocutt-Ellington Library||Tuesday||1/6 - 2/10||10am - 12:30pm||Diabetes Self Management|
|Fellowship Resources||Monday||1/12 - 2/16||9:30am - 12pm||Diabetes Self Management|
Interested in holding a workshop or becoming a lay leader?
Contact Barbara James, Living Healthy Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 819-6862